points for health acupuncture & herbal medicine
Are you tired of a stuffy nose, itchy, watery eyes, sneezing, headaches and fatigue? Acupuncture can provide relief without the unwanted side effects of some medications.
How Does Acupuncture Help Allergies?
Acupuncture reduces suffering from allergies in two main ways:
- It alleviates the symptoms of itchy eyes, stuffiness, headaches and fatigue
- It brings the body into balance while strengthening and supporting the immune system
According to Chinese medical theory, the signs and symptoms that indicate a Western diagnosis of allergies relate to imbalances in the energy meridians and organ systems of the body. These imbalances may stem from a variety of causes including stress, poor diet, constitutional weakness, pollutants and environmental toxins. Overtime, if these imbalances remain within the body, they will affect the function of the organ systems. One such system impacted is referred to as Wei Qi in traditional Chinese medicine and is similar to the concept of the immune system. When this system is deficient, one becomes vulnerable to invaders such as dust, mold, animal dander, pollen, bacteria and viruses. Acupuncture helps to strengthen the systems of the body involved in the production of Wei Qi to reduce or eliminate the signs and symptoms of allergies. For those individuals who are chronic suffers of allergies, it is highly recommended that they seek treatment prior to the allergy season to help strengthen the immune system.
Seasonal Allergy Tips:
- Flush your nose with a warm saline nasal solution using a Neti pot to keep the nose clear of airborne allergens.
- Add citrus fruits like oranges, tangerine and grapefruit to your diet to clear sinus passages.
- Make a tea with the rind and pith of half a lemon, grapefruit and orange. Cover with cold water, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add honey and one and a half teaspoons of olive oil. Enjoy!
- Avoid dairy, sugar and greasy, oily foods
- Increase the use of coriander to help boost the immune system
- Keep the windows to your home closed to keep dust and pollen from entering.
- Wear a scarf to protect the back of the neck where wind that is carrying pathogens may enter causing illness. This is particularly important after sweating or when it is windy.
Check out our new articles page!
Looking for a gift idea that is unique? Why not give the gift of health to your family, friends and co-workers by offering them a gift certificate for an acupuncture treatment. We are now also offering gift certificates for Mei Zen Facial Cosmetic Acupuncture. Contact the office today at 972-506-8113.